Dedicated on Armed Forces Day 2008
Tuskegee Airmen Wall Dedication: VFW Post 10216 conducted a Tuskegee Airmen Dedication Ceremony at the Post Home on Armed Forces Day in May 2008. The guest speaker was Lieutenant General Steve Wood, 7th Air Force Commander; guest of honor was a Post founding member and Tuskegee Airman MSgt (Ret) James (Jim) T. Price. Jim unfortunately passed away that same year only 2 months later in Jul. As part of the Dedication, the Post dedicated a “Tuskegee Wall” with portraits, artwork and personal photos of Tuskegee Airmen. We also had model airplanes made of the Red-tail P-51 and Brigadier General Davis’s F-86 that he flew at Osan AB.
20 Jul 2008: VFW Comrade MSgt (Ret) James ”Jim” T. Price passed away 20 July 2008 following a long hospitalization. Jim was a Founding Member of Post 10216, a Tuskegee Airman, a beloved member of our community and a good friend. Jim was hospitalized following a fall and injury in May 2008 and never fully recovered. Price joined the Army on Dec. 7, 1942. After serving in Tennessee, Texas, France, Germany and Belgium, he became one of the youngest members of the legendary Tuskegee Airmen in 1945. He served with the all-black unit as a B-25 aerial gunman until the military became fully integrated in 1949.
Jim's wife of 43 years, Mrs. Sok Kyun Price, held a Buddhist vigil and "wake" for Jim on 22 July at the VFW. Mrs Price affectionately said "please ask Jim's friends to visit "my ol' man" to say good-bye". A Korean style dinner was served at the VFW that same night. The 51st Wing Commander, Colonel Norman, authorized and coordinated an A-10 fly-over during the 28 July 2008 memorial service to pay respect to this American Hero. The 51st Fighter Wing has officially notified the Tuskegee Airmen's Organization of Jim's passing. Jim was cremated on 23 July. A private family ceremony spread his ashes in the hills of this country Korea he loved so much.
The VFW held a “Draping of the Charter” in honor of Jim on 26 July 2008. A Memorial Service was held at the Osan AB Chapel on July 29, 2008...